Have you recently driven home a new, or new to you, vehicle?
If you are replacing a vehicle or simply have one that is no longer in use, you can transfer the licence plates to the vehicle you will now be using.
If your vehicle registration is currently valid, visit us in person at any AMA Registries Centre about transferring your registration*.
What you need to transfer your current registration to a new vehicle
- Your AMA membership card.
- One Government of Alberta acceptable photo identification or support document.
- Proof of ownership, such as:
- Bill of sale
- Lease agreement
- Previous vehicle registration
- If you have a brand new vehicle, we require the original New Vehicle Information Statement (NVIS) that you received from your dealer when you purchased the vehicle. Fax or photocopy are not acceptable.
- If there is more than one name on either the current registration or the ownership document, both signatures will be required. For more information call 1-866-989-6370.
- Proof of valid Alberta liability insurance (current pink card in the name(s) to appear on the vehicle registrations).
- Your odometer reading (optional).
*Why not renew your vehicle registration for another year?
Depending on your current expiry date, you may have the option to extend the term of your registration.
You pay the renewal fee of $84.45, but receive an additional 12 months and save on the transfer fee of $22.45. A copy of your current Alberta liability insurance (pink card) will be required.
In order to transfer your vehicle registration, you must be a member in good standing with the AMA, CAA, or AAA. Not a member? Join AMA now.