/* page-4776-row12132-column-12133 */ ?>
When, and if, you need to legally change your name depends upon your circumstances.
A legal change of name:
Might be needed
if you are correcting or amending the name as it appeared in your original birth registration.
- Is not needed for a man or woman to change their surname to a married last name after marriage.
In Alberta, a legal name change may not be required when:
- A woman wants to go back to her maiden name or a previous last name, providing she has not already legally changed her name.
- A husband/partner assumes the last name of his wife/partner. As this is not a traditionally recognized practice, you may find that others will not acknowledge the assumed name.
- A mother and biological father of an Alberta-born child jointly request to change their child's last name and add the father's information to the child's birth registration. This process is called paternity*.
- A mother marries the biological father of an Alberta-born child, and they jointly request to change the child's last name. This process is called legitimization*.
- Parent(s) want to change an Alberta-born child's given name(s). The child must be under 10 years of age.
- An Alberta-born person who wants to change their given names, is older than 10-years-of age, and has documentary proof supporting the intended name*.
*Paternity, legitimization, and given name changes may be processed as an amendment to the registration under the Vital Statistics Act. (Some restrictions apply; ask an agent for details.
/* page-4776-row12139-column-12140 */ ?>
How to change your name
- If you are an Alberta resident visit any one of our 18 AMA Registry centres to pick up a Legal Change of Name application. Additional documentation may be required. Ask an agent for details.
- Bring your completed application and required documentation to your closest AMA Registry and we will complete the processing and forward your documents to Vital Statistics.
- Your certificate will be mailed to you approximately 10-14 days after you place your order.
/* page-4776-row-12134-column-12136 */ ?>
for product pricing at an AMA centre near you
/* page-4776-row4783-column-4784 */ ?>
In order to request a legal name change, you must be a member in good standing with the AMA, CAA or AAA. Not a member? Join AMA now.